Site-specific, written plan for the maintenance of asbestos-containing material
(ACM) in a condition that prevents the release of asbestos fibres
It details and records the actions to be undertaken to manage and reduce the risks
from asbestos. The broad requirements on employers
1) take reasonable steps to determine the location of materials likely to contain asbestos
2) presume materials to contain asbestos, unless there are good reasons not to do so;
3) make and maintain a written record of the location of the asbestos and presumed asbestos materials;
4) monitor the condition of asbestos and presumed asbestos materials;
5) assess the risk of exposure from the asbestos and presumed asbestos materials and document the actions necessary to manage the risk; and
6) take steps to see that the actions above are carried out.
The management plan may include some or all of the following options: clean up debris; repair; encapsulate
(paint or seal); enclose
; maintain and update log of ACMs; monitor condition (applies to all presumed or identified ACMs); restrict access/isolate; label or colour code; inform; train; define and use safe systems of work; operate a permit-to-work system.